Our Guide to Gift Payments by Direct Debit
With Buy Our Honeymoon, couples in the UK can accept gift payments by Direct Debit using the GoCardless service. Here's our guide to how this works.
We’re the first wedding gift list service to enable guests to pay for their gifts with a one-off Direct Debit.
The Direct Debit system supports and guarantees one-off payments, as well as the normal recurring payments you may be used to.
They’re a safe, convenient and inexpensive way of collecting honeymoon fund payments online, without all the hurdles associated with credit or debit card processing.
GoCardless charge a fee of only 1% per transaction, deducted from the amount you receive.
There’s a minimum fee of 20p per transaction, and a £2.00 cap — so you’ll never pay more than £2.00 in fees for any gift payment.
Guests will need a UK bank account to make payment this way.
You can set up both credit/debit card and GoCardless payments if you wish, to offer your guests a choice on how to pay. If you have guests living overseas, we can geo-target payments so that your guests are steered to the best payment option for where they’re located.
Please note that GoCardless accounts are not available to couples in Jersey and Guernsey.
It’s easy to set this up.
- Just sign into your Buy Our Honeymoon account and go to the Gift Payments section.
- Click the Set up your GoCardless account button. We’ll send you to a screen on gocardless.com to create your account and authorise us to manage payments from your list.
- You’ll automatically return to buy-our-honeymoon.com and you can immediately start accepting Direct Debit payments for your gifts.
- For GoCardless to transfer money to you, you’ll need to provide your bank details. Sign in to the dashboard on gocardless.com and complete the short form. You’re accepting payments as an individual for the purposes of wedding gifts via buy-our-honeymoon.com.
- GoCardless are legally required to confirm the identity of people collecting money through their service. To do this, you’ll need to make a transfer of a penny from your bank account to GoCardless’s verification account. GoCardless will provide full details of how to do this.
Secure and safe.
GoCardless is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as an Authorised Payment Institution, and they serve more businesses than any other Direct Debit provider. Your guests are fully covered by the Direct Debit guarantee, so in the extremely unlikely event that anything does go wrong with a transaction, they’re entitled to a complete, instant refund.
Although we can monitor the status of gift payments made to you, we cannot access these funds or obtain the details of your bank account.
Payments by Direct Debit take around a week before they reach your bank account.
We’ll notify you immediately when a guest creates a Direct Debit payment for their gifts, including a transaction ID so you can keep an eye on its progress if you wish. The funds will leave your guest’s bank account in four working days, and will be automatically transferred to your bank account two working days later. In the unlikely event that there’s a problem with the payment, we’ll contact you.
At any time, you can log into your Buy Our Honeymoon account to view the status of all gifts, and to see the date and amount of the next payout that’s due.
We’re here to help
If you ever have any queries or need assistance, we’re only an email or phone call away.